Woodcock wonder Recipe
By April 11, 2013Published:
Courtesy of Anthony Evans, Wales
- 2 Woodcock plucked and gutted
- 1/4 sloe gin
- 2 oz Butter
- 1 red onions
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 5 spring onions
- 2 tsp honey
- 3 oz bacon lardons unsmoked
- 4 oz sprouts peeled
- In a roasting tin on top of the hob, fry off in butter the red onion, garlic, spring onions and bacon lardons, until golden in colour.
- Pull all the leaves apart from the sprouts and add them to the tin, continue to cook for 3 minutes.
- After 3 minutes, add the gin, bring to the boil and cover the tin with foil or a lid. Place the tin in the oven on gas mark 6 for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes of cooking in the oven, baste the bird with the juice from the bottom of the tin.
- Place the tin back in the oven for a further 20 minutes to cook without covering. This will colour the birds and dry out the roasting contents of the tin.
- Serve with all of the tin contents as a base on a clean hot plate.