With summer approaching, now’s the time to brush up on your barbecuing skills, ready for those sunny days out in the garden, or for off-season social and fund-raising events.
Clover Hutson is head chef for the Broil King BBQ Master Class Academy that travels the UK offering free expert tuition in how to make most from your BBQ.
Using the latest Broil King technology, the classes are designed to take the most inexperienced beginners to the expert griller and offer them some great tips and advice on how to create the prefect gourmet feast. The Broil King BBQ team can be seen during the summer alongside the Taste of Game Kitchen at game and country fairs around the country.
Clover says; “My absolute favourite is cooking with game. With venison, rabbit and pigeon available all year round, these wild healthy meats offer the perfect alternative when you are looking for something a bit different this summer.”
To celebrate all things BBQ the Broil King team in conjunction with the Taste of Game are searching the length and breadth of the country to find the ultimate game recipe. If you have a favourite, we would love to hear from you. It could be your chance to win a fantastic Broil King Signet BBQ and utensils worth more than £1,000 – PLUS a professionally catered barbecue party for you and up to 10 friends!
WIN! a BBQ and a party feast
Win a fantastic Broil King Signet BBQ and a professionally catered barbecue party for you and up to 10 friends!
If you would like a chance to win this fantastic prize all you have to do is send us your favourite game meat BBQ recipe to firstname.lastname@example.org and to show us what it looks like you can post a picture on Twitter @tasteofgame or our Facebook page: Taste of Game (not a condition of entry).
You will also have the chance to create your dish at the Great British Game Food Festival at Borough Market, London in November.
To help you, World of Zing has put together six spices and mix that work well with game and could be incorporated into your recipe, or just inspire you
- A traditional aromatic Indonesian Satay marinade.
- A punchy Jerk blend.
- Berbere from North Africa – fiery and robust for really rich meats.
- Cubeb Peppercorns are a big favourite of mine. More robust and complex than regularly pepper with an incredible all-spice like aroma. Simple salt and pepper seasoning with Cubebs instead of regular black pepper.
- Achiote Paste is a fantastic South American ingredient. Add a couple of tablespoons with some olive oil, lime juice, salt, pepper, garlic, red wine vinegar, cumin and crushed ancho.
- Chipotle Chilli Rub
1 Pasilla Chilli
2 Chipotle Chillies
1 tablespoon paprika
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon sea salt
Blitz to powder, rub over meat with olive oil to marinade and cook.
Competition closes on 4 September 2016
To get you started here is one of Clover’s favourite recipes:
Harissa spiced buttermilk rabbit tacos and quick pickle
(Buttermilk is a wonderful tenderiser)
800g of de-boned rabbit meat, cut into pieces
1 tbsp harissa paste
1 clove garlic
1 carton buttermilk
250g self-raising flour
50ml cold water
1 tbsp mixed herbs
1 pinch dried chilli
½ red cabbage – sliced thinly
1 red onion – sliced thinly
A handful of fennel seeds
100ml white wine vinegar
1 tbsp caster sugar
1 bunch coriander, chopped
Chop up the garlic finely and mix with the buttermilk and the harissa; add your rabbit, mix well and leave for a couple of hours to marinate.
For the pickled cabbage, mix your vinegar, sugar, and fennel seed in a large bowl until the sugar has dissolved; add the sliced cabbage and onion and mix well.
Cover with cling film and leave until needed.
Put your flour in another large bowl with the mixed herbs and chilli and add the water, a little at a time. Keep mixing until you have a dough ball. Break the dough into six small balls and flour the worktop well. Roll each dough ball out thinly.
Now cook and assemble. Have the grill on a medium heat to start with and place your rabbit pieces on it, leaving them a couple of minutes either side. They should char a little and only take about seven minutes. Leave these on one side to rest while you cook the tacos. Turn the heat to high and lay the tacos on the grill – one minute each side should do it. They will puff up and brown slightly.
Put some of your pickled cabbage in each folded taco then some rabbit meat. – I like a good spoonful of minted yoghurt on mine and a good handful of coriander.
Conditions and terms of competition
- The promoter is: Events of Excellence Ltd T/A Love Food Roadshow (company no. 6660860)] whose registered office is at Unit 5 Lifford Way, Binley Industrial Estate, Coventry CV32BU.
- Employees of Event of Excellence Ltd or their family members or anyone else connected in any way with the competition or helping to set up the competition shall not be permitted to enter the competition.
- There is no entry fee and no purchase necessary to enter this competition.
- Route to entry for the competition and details of how to enter are via [http://www.lovefoodlive.co.uk/competition.html]
- Closing date for entry will be 4th September 2016 After this date the no further entries to the competition will be permitted.
- No responsibility can be accepted for entries not received for whatever reason.
- The rules of the competition and the prize for each winner are as follows:
- Entrants must email their barbeque recipe to email@example.com
- The prize will be a Broil King Signet BBQ Further information can be found at: [http://www.lovefoodlive.co.uk/competition.html]
- The promoter reserves the right to cancel or amend the competition and these terms and conditions without notice in the event of a catastrophe, war, civil or military disturbance, act of God or any actual or anticipated breach of any applicable law or regulation or any other event outside of the promoter’s control. Any changes to the competition will be notified to entrants as soon as possible by the promoter.
- The promoter is not responsible for inaccurate prize details supplied to any entrant by any third party connected with this competition.
- No cash alternative to the prizes will be offered. The prizes are not transferable. Prizes are subject to availability and we reserve the right to substitute any prize with another of equivalent value without giving notice.
- Winners will be chosen:
- [by an independent adjudicator or panel of judges appointed by the Promoter].
- The winner will be notified by email and/or letter within 28 days of the closing date. If the winner cannot be contacted or do not claim the prize within 14 days of notification, we reserve the right to withdraw the prize from the winner and pick a replacement winner.
- The promoter will notify the winner when and where the prize can be collected.
- The promoter’s decision in respect of all matters to do with the competition will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- By entering this competition, an entrant is indicating his/her agreement to be bound by these terms and conditions.
- The competition and these terms and conditions will be governed by [English] law and any disputes will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of [England].
- The winner agrees to the use of his/her name and image in any publicity material. Any personal data relating to the winner or any other entrants will be used solely in accordance with current [UK] data protection legislation and will not be disclosed to a third party without the entrant’s prior consent.
- The winner’s name will be available 28 days after closing date by sending a stamped addressed envelope to the following address: Unit 5 Lifford Way, Binley Industrial Esate, Coventry CV32RN
- Entry into the competition will be deemed as acceptance of these terms and conditions.
- This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook, Twitter or any other Social Network.