Member’s recipe of the month
This months recipe of the month comes from Mr Ian Law
Image by ‘Istockphoto.com/JoeGough
Wild Rabbit Pie
By April 2, 2014Published:
Member’s recipe of the month This months recipe of the month comes from Mr Ian Law Image by ‘Istockphoto.com/JoeGough
- 1 Wild rabbit jointed
- 1/2 pint rough cider
- 1 large onion
- 2 oz Butter
- nutmeg grated
- 1/2 lb unsmoked streaky bacon
- 1 cooking apple
- 1 1/2 oz plain flour
- 1 egg
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- salt and pepper freshly ground
- Chop the onion, apple and bacon into small pieces and pop the lot into a cast iron saucepan with the jointed rabbit. Add the bay leaves, salt, pepper, nutmeg and cider. Simmer until tender and then transfer the solid ingredients to a pie dish.
- To prepare the stock, soften the butte and mix with the flour to form a smooth paste. Add slowly to the simmering liquid, stirring until it thickens. Pour the stock over the contents of the pie dish and cover with short crust pastry.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for about half and hour until golden brown. Complement the pie with fresh vegetables from the kitchen garden.