A classic meatball recipe that works well with muntjac, the sauce can be made well ahead of time and it also works well with pasta for a main course.
Muntjac Meatballs Recipe
By June 3, 2021Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 10 mins
- Ready In: 20 mins
A classic meatball recipe that works well with muntjac, the sauce can be made well ahead of time and it also works well with pasta for …
- 200 grams venison mince
- 100 grams pork mince
- 2 brown onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 sprig rosemary finely chopped
- 40 grams parmesan finely grated
- 20 grams natural breadcrumbs
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 400 grams tomato passata
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 sprigs basil
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- 2 tbs red wine vinegar
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- First make the tomato sauce. Over a low heat heat in a saucepan sweat off 2 of the cloves of garlic, 1 onion and the bay leaf with a pinch of salt in olive oil until the onion is soft.
• Strip the basil stalks saving the leaves saving the leaves and put the stalks in the pot along with the tomato passata, vinegar and sugar. Bring to a medium heat and cook for 15 minutes to thicken being careful it does not catch. Allow to cool and then remove the bay leaf and basil stalks- check seasoning and adjust to taste.
- For the meatballs sweat off the remaining onion, garlic and rosemary in olive oil over a medium heat with a pinch of salt and pepper until soft. Allow to cool and add to a mixing bowl with the 2 minces, grated parmesan, egg yolk and breadcrumbs.
- Add a good twist of black pepper to the meat and mix everything well. Preheat your oven to 200 degrees C while you shape the meatballs into 30g balls and place in a lightly oiled snug fitting oven tray.
- Place the meatballs into the hot oven and roast for 8 minutes until brown. Turn down the oven to 150 degrees C, remove the meatballs from the oven and pour away any fat. Cover the meatballs with the tomato sauce, cover with tin foil and place back in the oven for 10 minutes to allow the meatballs to braise in the sauce.
- To serve remove the tray from oven, skewer the meatballs with mini skewers and arrange on the plate with half the basil leaves to garnish. Chop the remaining basil leaves and stir into the tomato sauce to serve in a pot as a dipping sauce for your meatballs.