Takeaway classic redone with rabbit and fresh ingredients…
Sweet and Sour Rabbit Recipe
By April 1, 2020Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 35 mins
- Ready In: 50 mins
Takeaway classic redone with rabbit and fresh ingredients...
- 400 ml chicken stock
- 4 rabbit legs or 1 whole rabbit jointed
- 1 vanilla pod split lengthways
- 2 cardamon pods
- 2 garlic cloves peeled
- 0.5 tsp coriander seeds
- 6 black peppercorns
- Maldon sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 150 ml malt vinegar
- 150 grams caster sugar
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 1 small fresh red chilli chopped
- 1 tbs ginger grated
- 1 tbs tamarind paste
- 4 star anise
- 0.5 pineapple skin, eyes and core removed, diced
- 1 fresh red chilli finely chopped, to serve
- 2 tsp coriander leaves finely chopped, to serve
- zest of 1 lime to serve
- rapeseed oil to fry
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/360°F/Gas mark 4
- Heat a good slug of rapeseed oil in a flameproof casserole dish, add the rabbit legs and cook until golden brown and sealed on all sides. Remove from the dish.
- Add the stock to the dish and deglaze, scraping up all the roasting juices with a wooden spoon. Stir in the split vanilla pod, cardamom, garlic, coriander seeds and black peppercorns, then add the rabbit legs to the stock. Cover the dish and place in the preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until the rabbit is tender.
- Remove the legs from the dish and set aside. Strain the cooking liquid through a sieve into a saucepan and cook on the hob until reduced by half.
- To make the sauce, put the vinegar and sugar in a saucepan and heat over a medium heat to a light caramel colour. Add the soy sauce, chilli, ginger, tamarind paste, star anise and pineapple and cook for a further 2 minutes. Stir in the reduced rabbit stock and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Return the rabbit legs to the pan and turn them in the sauce to glaze. Season to taste. Lift the legs out, place onto a serving dish and pour over the sauce. Sprinkle with the chopped chilli and coriander and finish with the lime zest.
- Serve with steamed jasmine rice with toasted sesame seeds.