Strawberry and Crème Fraiche Tarts
By February 8, 2015Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 8 mins
- Ready In: 23 mins
A lovely summer dessert use British strawberries for a sweet strawberry taste. Use ready-made sweet shortcrust pastry to save time.
- 200 grams plain flour pastry
- 120 grams unsalted butter pastry
- 80 grams icing sugar pastry
- 1 egg yolk pastry or
- 300 grams ready-made sweet shortcrust pastry
- 5 large strawberries filling
- 8 tbsps crème frâiche filling
- 1 tbsp caster sugar filling
- 1 tbsp icing sugar filling
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- Use ready-made shortcrust sweet pastry or sift flour into a food processor and add slices of butter. Process until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Combine icing sugar and egg yolk in a bowl and add to the flour and butter. Continue mixing until the pastry starts to come together. Remove and knead by hand. Wrap pastry in cling film and refrigerate until needed.
- Grease four individual tart tins with butter. Roll out the pastry to a thickness of 5mm. Cut out four circles of pastry and line the tins, pushing the pastry all the way into the edges. Fill tarts with baking beans
- Blind bake for 5 to 8 minutes in a preheated oven until golden brown. Remove the beans towards the end of the baking process to allow the pastry base to finish baking. Oven setting 180°C / Mark 4
- Place crème fraîche in a bowl and add vanilla essence. Sieve in icing sugar to taste and whisk until mixed.
Dice four of the strawberries and place a portion on the base of each tart.
- Fill the tart cases with crème fraîche and sprinkle with caster sugar. Use a blow torch to caramelise the sugar torch or pop under a hot grill. Cut the remaining strawberry into quarters and use to decorate the tarts