Scottish Highland venison,with roasted root vegetables Recipe
By April 11, 2013Published:
Scottish Highland venison,with roasted root vegetables and dauphinoise potatoes, surrounded with a cherry brandy jus. Courtesy of The Royal Hotel, Comrie, Perthshire
- 4 7oz venison haunch steaks. marinated in olive oil,garlic & rosemary overnight
- 2 carrots
- 1 parsnip
- 1/2 swede
- 1/2 Celeriac diced
- 2-3 large potatoes peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 pt double cream
- 1 bulb garlic crushed
- 8 oz gruyere cheese
- Put cream in a saucepan with the garlic & simmer to infuse garlic for 20 minutes. Strain the cream and layer the potatoes in an ovenproof dish, with cream & cheese with seasoning. Bake in oven @ 180c until potatoes are cooked. Remove from oven & keep warm.
- Drizzle some olive oil on to root vegetables, season & roast in oven @180c until tender. Remove from oven & keep warm.
- In a hot griddle pan cook the venison steaks to your desire & rest them for 5 minutes between two hot plates.
- Deglaze pan with 1glass of red wine, reduce & add ¼ pt of good beef stock, reduce further, stir in a knob of butter and one shot of cherry brandy. Serve vegetables and dauphinoise potatoes on to warm plates. Slice the venison steaks and place on top of vegetables. Glaze with sauce and serve.