Saddle of Hare Vigneronne Recipe
By April 5, 2013Published:
- 1 saddle hare
- 2 tbsp hare blood
- bouquet garni
- beurre manié equal qtys of butter and flour pressed together to form a paste
- 2 onions
- 1/2 pint cream
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 rashers fat bacon
- 4 oz green grapes
- 2 glasses sherry
- 1 carrot
- 1/2 pint stock
- 1 tbsp brandy
- Trim the saddle and place in a deep glass or china dish.
- Slice the vegetables and put over and round the saddle together with the crushed garlic and herbs. Pour over the brandy and sherry and leave to marinate for 24 hours.
- Dry the saddle and wrap around with the bacon rashers. Strain the marinade, place the vegetables on the bottom of a casserole and set the saddle on top.
- Pour over the sherry and brandy, baste well and cover. Cook for 1½ hours in a moderate over, basting frequently.
- In a separate pan, add the bouquet garni to the stock and bring to the boil, add the cream and reduce a little.
Remove bouquet garni. Thicken with a beurre maine.
- Move the saddle from the oven and place on a serving dish. .
- Strain the juices from the casserole into the sauce. Add a couple of spoonsful of the sauce to the blood and return to the pan. Do not allow to boil after the blood has been added
- Suround the saddle with the grapes and pour the sauce over.