Roast Woodcock Recipe
By April 11, 2013Published:
- Press the legs and wings together, draw the head round and run the beak through where the legs and wings cross.
- Brush the birds with melted butter and tie a piece of fat bacon round each bird. Place in a casserole with some melted butter, season and baste with butter.
- Cook in a hot oven for 20 –30 minutes, basting frequently.
- Cut the birds in half and serve on croutons of fried bread or toast and serve with a clear gravy made from the cooking juices and flavoured with a squeeze of lemon.
- Alternatively, the birds may be wrapped in fat bacon and then placed on a piece of bread which has been fried or toasted on one side, the birds being placed on the untoasted side so that the juices will run into the bread while roasting.