Roast Hare Recipe
By April 5, 2013Published:
- 1 young hare
- 6 rashers fat bacon
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp red currant jelly
- 1 wine glass port
- 1/2 lb dripping
- 2 dessertspoon flour
- Prepare the hare and stuff it with forcemeat.
- Sew up the hare and truss it. Tie slices of fat bacon round the hare.
Heat the dripping in a roasting tin, put in the hare, cover and place in a hot oven. Cook for 2 hours, basting well every 20 minutes.
- When the hare is nearly done, remove the bacon, sprinkle flour on the hare and baste until nicely brown. Remove string from the hare and keep warm.
- Pour off the fat from the tin apart from 2 dessertspoonful. Add the stock, juice of ½ lemon and the port and jelly. Boil gently for 5 minutes, stirring all the time, adjust the seasoning, remove from heat and add the blood of the hare.
- Sit the hare upon the serving dish, place a little parsley in its mouth and half a stuffed olive in each eye socket.
- Garnish round the dish with watercress and lemon slices.
- Serve the gravy separately.