Rare roast venison, goats cheese and cranberry sauce on whole meal bread Recipe
By April 5, 2013Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
Photo and Recipe by Charley May
- 2 lb venison haunch on the bone or rolled boneless
- whole meal or white bread
- 4 orange
- 1/2 cup gin
- 3 tbsp honey
- sprigs thyme
- 1 small round Somerset goats cheese
- lettuce iceberg or butter
- cranberry sauce
- Place venison in a bowl suitable for marinating and add salt and pepper to season. Cut the oranges and squeeze the juice over the meat, if necessary add a little orange juice from a carton. Add about half a cup of gin. Strip the leaves from the thyme sprigs and add to the mix. Mix the marinade and bath the meat in it. Add the honey over the top of the meat and let the mix stand for about an hour (the longer the better).
- Remove the venison from the marinating bowl and place in a roasting tin, cover in tin foil to keep the meat moist, take the foil off for the 10 minutes at the end to allow the meat to crisp. Cook the meat, allowing around 15/20 minutes per pound at gas mark 8, or 230 Celsius, remove and allow the meat to stand. The meat can be used hot or cold.
- Thinly slice the meat and place on buttered whole meal or white bread. Add ice berg or butter lettuce, sliced goats cheese and cranberry sauce on top and serve with game chips.