Rabbit and Kidney Pie topped with a puff pastry lid
Rabbit and Kidney Pie
By November 27, 2014Published:
- Yield: 4 (4 Servings)
- Prep: 30 mins
- Cook: 30 mins
- Ready In: 60 mins
Rabbit and Kidney Pie topped with a puff pastry lid.
- 300 grams boneless diced rabbit
- 150 grams veal kidney diced small
- 1/2 onion
- 1/2 glove garlic
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 20 grams Butter
- 25 grams flour
- 1/2 litre brown chicken stock
- vegetable oil
- 50 grams butter puff pastry frozen
- Heat some vegetable oil in a pan, take the rabbit, season and dust in the flour. Add half the rabbit to the pan, seal so the meat is coloured well. Remove and repeat with the other half of the meat. The meat has to be a good colour as this determines the colour of your sauce.
- Seal the kidney in the same way and remove from pan.
- Melt some butter in the pan and add the finely chopped onion and garlic. Allow to sweat for 3 minutes. Add rabbit, kidney and tomato puree and cook for two to three minutes. Add the stock and stir to create the sauce
- Bring the rabbit to the boil and allow to 'tick over' until the meat is cooked you may need to add more stock.
- Roll out the puff pastry to 5 mm thickness and cut 4 disc's to cover your pie dishes.
- Brush the pastry with beaten egg and place on a baking tray. Cook in an oven at 180c for 20 minutes. Place a cooling rack above them, this allows them to cook straight and not grow too high
- Once meat is cooked remove from the sauce and keep warm.
Bring the sauce to the boil until the right consistency by adding more stock or reducing.
- Put the meat back into the sauce and top with the pastry