Potted Venison Recipe
By April 11, 2013Published:
- 1 shoulder venison boned and roughly chopped
- 1 ltr red wine (wine from a box is fine for this)
- 1 star anise
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 2 bay leaf
- 5 juniper berries
- 6 rashers smoked streaky bacon rinds removed but reserved
- 200 g Butter unsalted, in chunks
- 1 bulb garlic sliced in half
- 5 sprigs thyme
- 2 sage leaves
- 1 rind lemon grated
- 1 pack Butter for finishing the dish
- small bay leaves for decorating
- Start by tying the bacon rinds together with the thyme, bay leaves and sage with kitchen string. Place in the bottom of a casserole dish with the venison, chopped bacon and all the rest of the ingredients and stir well. Cover with greaseproof paper and a tight fitting lid and put in the oven on 130c overnight (approx 8 hours)
- In morning, remove all the meat from the casserole, leaving all the herbs and spices behind. Strain off some of the liquid.
- Melt the pack of butter and pour off the milk solids so you are left with a clear liquid. Pour 1/3 into a Magimix with the meat and a ladle of the cooking liquid. Whizz up with salt and freshly ground pepper until smooth.
- Pot into your ramekins and pour over the remaining melted butter to cover the meat. Slip a bay leaf under the butter for decoration. Chill. Serve straight from the fridge with bread and chutney.