One of our snack recipes from Invasive Species Week- muntjac provides a smaller loin ideally suited to quick grilling and serving pink.
Muntjac on toast
By June 3, 2021Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Prep: 5 mins
- Cook: 10 mins
- Ready In: 15 mins
A delicious snack or starter using muntjac steaks.
- 250 grams loin venison
- 15 grams Butter
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 1 small baguette
- 4 cloves garlic whole
- 1 tbs dried thyme
- 130 grams watercress
- 1 small handful parsley
- 75 grams pine nuts toasted
- 75 grams parmesan finely grated
- Remove the steak from the fridge and allow to come to room temperature.
Make the toasts ahead of time- slice the baguette along its length to make rounds half an inch thick. Heat the oven to 180 degrees C and toss the baguette pieces in an oven tray with 3 cloves of garlic crushed, the dried thyme, 3 tbs of olive oil and salt and pepper. Mix everything really well to get the garlic and herb flavour through the bread.
- Place the toasts in the hot oven and cook for 6 minutes shaking the tray carefully halfway through. When crisp and golden remove the tray and set to one side.
- To make the pesto combine the watercress, parsley, last clove of garlic, 50g pine nuts, 50g parmesan, 5 tbs of olive oil and a good pinch of salt and pepper in a food processor and pulse together until combined. Alternatively chop the watercress and parsley and bring together other ingredients in pestel and mortar. Add the juice of half a lemon and check for seasoning on pesto- if slightly too thick stir in a dash of olive oil to loosen.
- Heat a heavy frying pan over a high heat to cook the steak. Season the meat with salt, add a dash of vegetable oil to the pan followed by the steak. Cook for 2 minutes on each side then add the butter and rosemary to the hot pan. Remove the pan from the heat and allow the meat to rest in the butter for a minute before removing to a plate to finish resting for two minutes and then thinly slicing.
- To serve spread some watercress pesto onto the toasts followed by a slice of muntjac and a dash of pesto and on the meat too. Scatter remaining pine nuts, parmesan and watercress on serving platter to garnish.