This pie uses a variety of game meat – use what you have available
Mixed Game Pie
By November 27, 2014Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Cook: 3 hrs 0 min
- Ready In: 3 hrs 30 mins
This pie uses a variety of game meat - use what you have available
- 1 kg mixed game inc. venison cubed
- 100 grams smoked streaky bacon
- 1 onion
- 150 grams button mushrooms
- 30 grams flour
- 1 tsp redcurrant jelly
- 300 ml red wine or 200ml port
- 300 ml beef or venison stock
- 1 sprig thyme
- 2 leaves bay
- 1 packet shortcurst pastry
- If pre-packed game meat pat dry the meat with kitchen towel. Toss the meat in the flour seasoned with salt and pepper until well coated.
- Brown the meat in a pan with a little bit of vegetable oil. Do this in small batch to ensure all sealed.
Remove from pan
- In the same pan sweat the onion, bacon and two minutes later add the mushrooms
Add the meat, thyme, bay leaves, wine, stock and redcurrant jelly bring to boil and simmer for 2 hours until tender or at 140c for 2 hours.
- Leave the meat to cool. Line a pie dish with two thirds of the pastry, and blind bake. (line with greaseproof paper and baking beans) and cook for 20 minutes at 180c. Remove and cool.
- Once cool add the meat and place the remaining as a lid to the pie. Glaze with beaten egg, cook for 30 minutes at 180c until golden brown