Loin of rabbit stuffed with dried fruit and paneer Recipe
By April 10, 2013Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
- 1 saddle of rabbit boned
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 large roomali bread or 1 large tortilla
- 1 large onion finely sliced (Ingredients for stuffing)
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil or corn oil (Ingredients for stuffing)
- 250 g paneer cheese grated (Ingredients for stuffing)
- 1 tbsp salted roasted pistachio nuts coarsely crushed (Ingredients for stuffing)
- 2 tbsp roasted cashew nuts coarsely crushed (Ingredients for stuffing)
- 4 tbsp wholegrain mustard (Ingredients for marinade)
- 3 tbsp greek yoghurt (Ingredients for marinade)
- 1 tsp Salt (Ingredients for marinade)
- 2 tbs mustard oil (or use vegetable oil mixed with 1 teaspoon English mustard)
- 6 tbs mustard oil (Ingredients for mustard vinaigrette)
- 4 tbs lemon juice with pinch of salr (Ingredients for mustard vinaigrette)
- 1/2 tsp sugar (Ingredients for mustard vinaigrette)
- 1/2 tsp black onion seeds (Ingredients for mustard vinaigrette)
- Lay the saddle out flat on a large sheet of cling film and run your fingers over it to check for any small bones. Cover the saddle with another piece of cling film and flatten it to an even layer, using a meat mallet or a wooden rolling pin. Remove the top sheet of cling film, then spread the ginger and garlic pastes over the meat and sprinkle with the salt.
- For the stuffing, fry the onion in the oil, stirring constantly, until it is an even golden brown colour. Lift out with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper. Place in a bowl, add all of the remaining stuffing ingredients and mix well. Place the stuffing in the centre of the saddle and roll up the saddle, using the cling film to help keepthe roll tight. Chill in the fridge for a few hours (or in the freezer for 20-30 minutes) so that it retains its shape. Then remove the cling film, spread the marinade all over the roll and place on a baking tray with the fold underneath so it stays rolled up. Set aside for about 10 minutes.
- Cook the roll for 20 minutes in an oven preheated to 200 degrees/400/Gas mark 6. Remove from the oven and leave to cool to room temperature, then wrap it in the roomali bread or tortilla, taking care to include as much of the marinade as possible. Leave to stand for 20 minutes, then cut the roll into 6 thick slices. Lay them flat on a baking tray and place in a moderate oven or under the grill until thoroughly heated through. Meanwhile, whisk together all of the ingredients for the mustard vinaigrette.
- Serve the rabbit with the dressing drizzled round.