Jerk Venison Casserole with Cheese Dumplings Recipe
By April 11, 2013Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
Reproduced from 'The Empty Larder' by kind permission of the author, Judy Malleson
- 900 g stewing venison diced
- 10 floz red wine
- 2 tbsp jerk seasoning
- 150 g tomato puree
- 75 g flour (for the dumplings)
- 75 g mature cheddar cheese (for the dumplings)
- 50 g Butter (for the dumplings)
- 1 clove garlic crushed(for the dumplings)
- water (for the dumplings)
- Mix the jerk seasoning with the wine and pour over the venison. Leave in a covered casserole dish for two or three hours, or overnight. At the end of this time move the casserole dish to a hot oven and bring to a gentle simmer. Transfer the dish to the bottom oven of the Aga, or to a low oven, and cook slowly for 5 hours. Mix the tomato purèe into the contents of the casserole and continue to cook slowly for a further 2 - 3 hours.
- Mix the flour, cheese, butter and garlic in the food processor until very crumbly. Leave the machine running and add one teaspoonful of water at a time until the mixture forms a ball, coming cleanly from the sides of the mixer. Divide the mixture into four large or eight small pieces, roll into balls and add to the casserole. Transfer to the hot oven, or increase the heat, and cook until the dumplings are lightly browned.
- This dish can be prepared well in advance and heated through in a hot oven when required. The dumplings can be prepared, kept in the ‘fridge and added to the casserole for the final 15-20 minutes.