Individual pear, orange and sultana pies
By February 8, 2015Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Prep: 40 mins
- Cook: 10 mins
- Ready In: 50 mins
This lovely moist pie is lovely with clotted cream or vanilla ice cream.
- 250 grams ready-rolled puff pastry
- 4 large ripe pears
- 3 tbsps sultanas
- 1 zest orange
- 2 juice orange
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 25 grams salted butter
- 2 tbsps caster sugar
- 1 egg beaten
- Roll out the pastry to a thickness of about 3mm. Cut out four shapes more than large enough to line a rounded teacup.
There should be enough overlap to fold in and cover the top of the cup. Line four cups first with cling film, then with pastry leaving an overlap (this will form the bottom). Place in the fridge to chill.
- Peel, quarter and core the pears. Slice each quarter into three again lengthways making strips. Place in a bowl and sprinkle with caster sugar, grated orange zest and vanilla essence.
- Transfer to a hot frying pan to caramelise the sugar. Once the pears have browned add the sultanas, the orange juice and butter.
- Cook for a further minute to allow the liquid to coat the pears. Set aside to cool for five minutes.
Spoon the pear filling into the moulds, packing the pear slices in tightly
- Brush the overlapping pastry with beaten egg and fold inwards to cover all the filling. This forms the base of the pie.
- Turn out the pies onto a baking tray covered with greaseproof paper and remove the cling film. Brush the pies with beaten egg and pop in the fridge for 30 minutes until the egg wash has set.
- Lightly score each pie several times from top to bottom with a sharp knife, taking care not to cut right through the pastry. Bake for 10 minutes until golden brown. Oven setting 180°C / Mark 4
- Serve with a creamy custard or good scope of vanilla ice cream..