Hare Pudding Recipe
By April 5, 2013Published:
The ‘wings’ (shoulders) and legs only may be used for this dish if the back has been taken for another purpose.
- 3/4 lb suet crust
- 1 hare
- 4 rashers streaky bacon
- 1 dessertspoon mixed herbs chopped
- 1 tbsp red currant jelly
- 1 dessertspoon onion chopped
- 1 glass port
- Cut the hare into medium sized pieces and marinate.
- Line a pudding basin fairly thickly with ¾ of the suet crust. Place the bacon rashers round the sides and across the bottom of the suet crust.
- Roll the pieces of hare in seasoned flour and place in the basin. Add onion, hare, seasoning jelly and port and as much stock as necessary.
Roll out the remaining pastry and cover the basin.
- Cover with greased paper and a pudding cloth and boil or steam for 4 hours.
- Serve in the basin with a napkin tied round, accompanied by redcurrant jelly.