Gamekeepers Trio of Birds, Red Wine & Mushroom Pie Recipe
By April 9, 2013Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
- 3 assorted birds off-the-bone pigeon, pheasant, duck, etc diced and seasoned in flour
- 1/2 pint red wine
- 1/2 pint game stock
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 bay leaf tied with:
- 2 stalks parsley and
- 1 stalk thyme using cotton string
- 1 oz Butter
- 4 shallots finely chopped
- 1 carrot peeled and cut into sticks
- ground pepper
- 5 oz mushrooms
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 pkt butter puff pastry (good quality)
- Dice the meats into quite large pieces and dust in a little seasoned flour. Heat the oil in a saucepan and quickly cover the meat, cooking in batches to ensure that the oil stays hot.
- Set aside the sealed pheasant and other bird pieces and add the butter to the pan.
- Gently fry the shallots and carrots until soft before adding the mushrooms. Once coloured, add a tablespoon of plain flour and continue to cook for another couple of minutes. Gradually stir in the wine, allow it to bubble up and thicken and then add the diced meats, stock and herbs, tied together with a piece of cotton string so they are easy to fish out later.
- Bring up to the boil and then simmer gently for 30 minutes. Remove the herbs.
- Quickly fry the remaining mushrooms and add the chopped parsley. Pre heat the oven to 190c/375f/Gas 5.
- Transfer the casserole to a pie dish, adding a little more stock if necessary.
- Roll out the pastry. Place a narrow band of pastry around the pie dish rim, brush with water and then place the pastry sheet over. Press firmly around the rim with a fork and prick a few holes in the main crust. Brush with egg wash and bake for 40 minutes or until golden.