Game Pie Recipe
By April 4, 2013Published:
- Yield: 1 pie
Delicious – but very rich – served hot, accompanied by spinach, or slices of marrow cooked and then lightly fried in butter.
- 1 Duck (cooked)
- 1/2 lb sausage meat well seasoned
- 6 rashers bacon
- 2 hard boiled eggs
- 2 tomatoes skinned
- 2 onions cooked
- 2 tbsp mixed horseradish (freshly made if possible)
- mixed herbs
- Line a large pie dish with short crust pastry. Cook the sausage meat and the onions and mix together. Thinly slice the tomatoes and hard boiled eggs.
- Carve off the bone in thin slices any game in the larder – with the addition of thinly sliced venison if available.
- Line the pastry case with slices of game, followed by a layer of the sausage meat and onion, a layer of bacon, a layer of sliced tomato and hard boiled egg and a sprinkling of herbs, salt and pepper.
- Follow with another layer of game, a layer of bacon, this time with a few dabs of horseradish on it, and in this way fill up the pie dish.
- Cover the top with a pastry lid, brush with egg, and put into the oven to cook the pastry.