A hearty and affordable dish perfect for a family supper…
Game Meatballs in Bean & Red Wine Sauce
By March 20, 2020Published:
- Yield: 6 Servings
- Prep: 35 mins
- Cook: 40 mins
- Ready In: 1 hr 15 mins
A hearty and affordable dish perfect for a family supper...
- 700 grams mixed game minced
- 350 grams sausage meat
- 350 grams bacon minced
- 100 grams chestnuts roughly chopped
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- 2 whole brown onion finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 35 grams plain flour
- 100 ml red wine
- 1500 ml chicken stock
- 125 grams cannellini beans cooked
- 125 grams kidney beans cooked
- 60 grams Butter
- 50 ml vegetable oil
- Put the game mince, sausage meat, minced bacon, chestnuts and thyme into a bowl. Mix well and season.
Divide the meat into 50g meatballs – you should get 30.
- Fry the meatballs in 30g of butter and a little oil to give them a bit of colour but don’t cook them any further. Remove from the pan and put aside.
- In an oven-proof dish, using the remaining butter, fry the onion until soft and golden brown, then add garlic and cook for another 3 minutes. Add the flour, stir well and cook out for further 5 minutes. Stir in the red wine and the stock. Stir continuously until you have a smooth, light sauce.
- Add in the meatballs, cover and place in the oven at 180℃ for 10 minutes. Then, mix in the beans and put back in oven. Cook uncovered for a further 8 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve with mashed potatoes or fresh bread.