We think this will ‘wow’ your guests and become a favourite of yours. This is just a bit more than a classic sausage roll which makes it very special.
This recipe could be made into individual sausage rolls once cooked divide into smaller pieces
Recipe by Mark Gough – Photography Richard Faulks
Venison sausage roll
By December 11, 2017Published:
- Yield: 8 Servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 22 mins
- Ready In: 37 mins
We think this will 'wow' your guests and become a favourite of yours. This is just a bit more than a classic sausage roll which makes …
- 250 grams venison fillet or steak the piece needs to 8 inches long
- 3 thick pork sausages
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp red onion or onion marmalade
- 20 cashew nuts chopped
- 1 pack of puff pastry
- 1 splash of brandy optional
- salt and black peper
- rapeseed or vegetable oil to fry
- Heat the oven to 180 degrees Gas mark 4.
Heat a pan over a high heat with a tablespoon of oil until it smokes. Add the venison fillet/steak and sear until brown on both sides. Leave to rest and cool
- Skin the pork sausages and place in a bowl mix with 2 eggs, add 1 tsp of onion marmalade & chopped cashews. Season with salt & pepper and add a splash of brandy.
- Take the puff pastry and roll out a piece 8 inches long.
Spread sausage mix across pastry, place venison fillet/steak in the middle of the pastry and roll over. Seal the edge with egg wash.
- Place on greased/or lined baking sheet, egg wash the pastry and cook for 20 mins at 180c/mark 4
Leave to rest before serving. Can be served warm or cold