12 Mar 2016
The School of Artisan Food
Lower Motor Yard
VENISON IN A DAY
Venison is a majestic meat, rich in flavour and history. Learn how to butcher a deer and create a range of delicious products and dishes.
Our butchery team will guide you through this practical course dedicated to the king of wild meats. From skinning to salt-curing this hands-on day will teach you how to transform a deer carcass into oven ready cuts.
Using both red and fallow deer from the Welbeck Estate you will learn:
- How to choose venison based on source, appearance, seasonality and breed.
- How to skin and joint a venison carcass.
- The process of hanging and its importance.
- The similarities of venison joints and cuts to those of other animals.
- The methods of larding and barding.
- Simple butchery techniques and knife skills.
- How to seam butcher the venison haunch and saddle.
- How to prepare venison shoulders and neck.
- How to make venison bresaola.
- How to produce venison burgers.
Each student will take home:
- Venison loin
- Venison burgers
- Venison bresaola ‘in cure’
This course includes light refreshments and an informal lunch.
All ingredients, equipment and recipes are provided by the School.
For booking and more information