The Bath Priory www.thebathpriory.co.uk is a luxury hotel, restaurant and spa
Sam has a reputation for quality food with exciting flavours. Most of the ingredients are local and they use their own kitchen garden for that added freshness. Before working at the Bath Priory Sam worked under Michael Caines at Gidleigh Park.
Notes to go with recipe
Prepare some parts in advance
For the smoked bacon ask your butcher for smoked boneless and rind less belly pork. Prepare and cook a day or two ahead. For this recipe you will not need much smoked bacon, but it keeps well and will freeze perfectly, so it is worth cooking a big piece as your pot will allow and save it for another meal. The stock is also worth keeping for great soups, Pease pudding and sauces.
Escabeche of local Partridge
By August 27, 2014Published:
- Yield: 4-6 Servings
- Cook: 2 hrs 20 mins
Local partridge with smoked bacon, apple and winter vegetable salad
- 6 partridge
- 200 gram piece smoked bacon home-made, see below ingredients
- 6 chestnut mushrooms shaved
- 1 carrot
- 1 baby leek
- 9 turnips
- 9 radish
- 2 apples diced
- Bitter leaf salad
- 200 gram smoked belly pork smoked bacon
- 1 leek split smoked bacon
- 1 onion smoked bacon
- 1 carrot smoked bacon
- 1 stick celery smoked bacon
- 1 head garlic split smoked bacon
- 1 tsp coriander seeds smoked bacon
- 1 tsp black peppercorns smoked bacon
- 1 tsp cloves smoked bacon
- 1 tbsp flour smoked bacon
- 250 ml extra virgin olive oil escabeche
- 75 ml Jerez, valdespino or olorosso (sherry) vinegar escabeche
- 250 grams shallots finely sliced escabeche
- For the Escabeche:
Sweat the shallots in the olive oil until lightly caramelised. Add the sherry vinegar, bring to a simmer and cook for 1-2 minutes, season and cool
- For the Smoked Bacon:
Place all the ingredients into one pot, bring to a simmer and cook for 2-3 hours or until soft. Remove pork and press between two trays for 12 hours in fridge.
- For the vegetables:
Split the baby leek through the middle and blanch for 2 minutes. Shave the carrot on a mandolin and blanche for 30 seconds.
Halve the radishes and turnips and blanche for 30 seconds
Mix the diced apple with all the ingredients
Thinly slice the mushroom and keep raw
- Heat a heavy based pan, with a little oil and place the partridge into the pan, legs down. Over a high heat start to cook place in an oven and roast for one minute.
Then turn and cook for 4 minutes on the each leg
Now add 50g butter, turn onto breast and cook for another 2 minutes.
Remove from pan and place on a tray. Pour over excess cooking fat and allow to rest for 15 minutes
- Take the smoked bacon and dice into 2cm cubes.
Lightly flour and caramelise lightly on all sides
- Warm the escabeche to about 50 degrees c. Remove the legs and cut out thigh bone, remove breast from the bone. Drop the meat into the escabeche, add the vegetables and mix well, drain, and arrange on a plate, along with the smoked bacon.
Lightly dress with the salad leaves.