Casseroled Grouse Recipe
By April 5, 2013Published:
- 2 grouse
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 rashers fat bacon
- 1 cup game stock
- 2 oz Butter
- bouquet garni parsley, thyme & bay leaf tied together
- 2 tbs oil
- 2 tbs brandy
- 4 shallots chopped
- parsley chopped
- 2 carrot chopped
- lemon butterflies
- beurre manié equal qtys of flour & soft butter pressed together with fingers
- Clean the birds and tie a rasher of fat bacon round each bird.
- Heat the butter and oil together and fry shallots and carrots.
- Add the grouse and brown well all over. Pour over the brandy and flame.
- Add the bouquet garni, wine, stock and seasoning and cook slowly for 2 hours.
Remove bouquet garni.
- Thicken with the beurre manié and adjust the seasoning.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley and garnish with lemon butterflies.
- Grouse Grand’mere - garnish with fried croutons and mushrooms tossed in butter.
Gourmet Grouse - garnish with foie-gras and truffles.
Grouse Ancienne - flavour with crushed juniper berries and garnish with fried croutons.