Canard Sauvage Matinale
By April 4, 2013Published:
- Yield: 1 meal (4 Servings)
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 1 hr 20 mins
- Ready In: 1 hr 40 mins
- 1 whole Duck 3 1/2 lb (hung for 24 hours)
- 4 oz Button mushrooms (glazed, see recipe)
- 4 oz button onions glazed
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1/2 leaf bay leaf
- 1 pinch thyme
- 1/4 pint red wine
- 1/2 duck stock (made from giblets)
- 1 1/2 oz plain flour
- 1/2 apple
- Clean and pluck duck, singe off all remaining down. Wipe the flesh clean. Do not wash. Salt and pepper the duck inside and out. Place the half apple inside the body cavity and truss. Roast for approximately ¾ hours – 1 hour in pre-heated oven Gas Mark 5 or 375oF.
- Remove duck from roasting tray, untie trussing strings and prepare for serving, either carved or quartered.
- Take roasting tray and skim off most of the fat. Put tray over moderate heat and stir in the flour and cook for one minute, gradually adding the stock and red wine, half a bay leaf and thyme. Cook slowly for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Strain into another saucepan, add sliced glazed mushrooms and whole glazed onions. Season to taste. Coat the prepared duck and sprinkle with chopped parsley. Serves 4.
- To glaze onions and mushrooms
(Serve 3 or 4 button mushrooms and onions per person.)
Put in saucepan, barely cover with water and add a pinch of salt and ½ oz butter. Cook on moderate heat until water has evaporated then gently toss in the residue until a sheen is obtained.